A breast cancer diagnosis is frightening news and just the beginning of a long journey many women take to a state of wellness and wholeness once again. A large part of that journey often involves breast reconstruction surgery that allows a woman to regain her appearance and her self-confidence. At The Institute for Advanced Reconstruction at The Plastic Surgery Center, we help women through the breast reconstruction process, giving them a new look and often a new lease on life.
Candidates for Breast Reconstruction
There are a few factors to consider when determining whether breast reconstruction is the right choice for you:
- Your feelings about your cancer, treatment and results of reconstruction surgery
- Non-smokers in relatively good health outside of the cancer diagnosis
- Type and nature of your breast cancer treatment (may determine when to have reconstruction surgery)
- Body mass index (patients with BMIs under 30 typically experience better aesthetic results)
Your decision to have reconstructive surgery is a personal one that should be made between you and your plastic surgeon. At The Institute for Advanced Reconstruction, the goal of our surgeons is to help you make the choice that is best for you, by giving back what you have lost from your breast cancer diagnosis. To that end, we will help you determine the best timing for your reconstructive surgery, as well as the techniques that will provide you with the best possible result.
Benefits of Breast Reconstruction
Women that undergo breast reconstruction after cancer treatment often find the procedure dramatically improves their “self-image, self-confidence and quality of life,” according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. The procedure is often the next step in moving forward with life after breast cancer. Advancements in surgical techniques throughout the past decade have ensured women undergoing breast reconstruction enjoy the best possible aesthetic results without excessive scarring and with beautiful body proportions that can be achieved a variety of ways.
Options in Breast Reconstruction
The Institute for Advanced Reconstruction understands that one size does not fit all when it comes to breast reconstruction, so we offer a variety of procedures and techniques that allow us to customize the procedure to the unique needs and desired results of each of our patients. Some of our options include:
- Tissue expansion with implants – after tissue is properly expanded, implants are placed
to produce a natural fullness and size to the breasts
- Natural tissue flaps – use body’s own fat, tissue and skin to reconstruct the breasts
- Nipple/areola sparing mastectomy – removal of breast tissue while leaving the nipple and areola intact for the most natural reconstruction results
- Nipple/areola reconstruction – used when the nipple and areola cannot be spared, the reconstruction process typically occurs after the breast reconstruction is complete
The surgeons at The Institute for Advanced Reconstruction understand what an emotional time this can be and will work closely with you throughout the reconstruction process to ensure your results meet your expectations. To learn more, contact The Institute for Advanced Reconstruction at The Plastic Surgery Center at 866-263-9123.